Lessons from a Bike Ride

This year due to the Covid crisis, all the Summer bike rides that I usually participate in were canceled.  It was disappointing, but it gave me an opportunity to plan a bike tour.  I love bike touring, because you go at your own pace, can explore off the beaten trails, get to meet interesting people, and you get to camp out every night.  With the canceled bike rides, I planned to do a loop around the North Cascades.  The loop I planned on was going to be around 550 miles and climbing three mountain passes with around 17,000 ft. of elevation gain. I planned about a 7 to 8 day tour.  In the past I did a cross country tour of about 5,400 miles, so I knew what I was up against.  I started planning months in advance and was in good cycling shape logging about 180 miles weekly on my bike.  Towards the end of my training, I logged a lot of miles with my bike loaded down.

I was so excited to go as I had been thinking daily how great this adventure would be. The departure date I picked out was Thursday, the 16th of July.  I left at 5:15 am and was a bit worried.  I had at least a 90 mile ride and was carrying 40 pounds of gear, but what worried me the most was the headwind.  I had a campsite reserved, so I needed to leave on that day. I hoped my training would pull me through. The first day was to be my longest leg of the trip. Things went well for the first 40 miles and then the wind, heat and hills hit.  I was 20 miles from my destination and started to cramp up badly.  I knew I was in trouble before this, as the head wind at the half-way point was around 15 miles per hour and I could feel my body slowly breaking down.  I struggled the last 20 miles with both legs cramping up all the way down to my toes.  When I finally got to my campsite, I called the hospital and they informed me to come in.  

After setting up camp and taking a shower, I walked about a mile to the hospital.  I had completed a 94 mile ride, climbing almost 4,000 feet in 90 degree temperatures.  I was hoping to get fixed at the hospital and continue my ride the next day.  It turns out I was dehydrated and had Rhabdomyolysis.  The nurse said I was bone dry, but this was easily taken care of  with two bags of IV fluids, it was the "Rhabdo" that worried the doctor.  The "Rhabdo" caused my leg muscles to break down, releasing acids into my kidneys. My kidneys worried the doctor Thursday night, so I was set up for a blood test the next morning.  I was still hopeful to leave the next day to finish my ride.  After the doctor was able to examine me the next morning and looking at my blood work, he informed me that my ride was over. My kidneys were still not at a good level and I decided to listen to the doctor and go home.  

I learned many lessons on this ride, but most of all I've been contemplating how this failed ride has taught me spiritual lessons as well.  Here's what I learned:

1.)  Be prepared/Conditioning counts

I was in great shape and ready for the ride, but two things would have made a difference in my opinion. First, I don't believe I was properly hydrated before the ride. I drank plenty of fluids during the ride, but before the ride I was drinking too much coffee and tea.  Not being properly hydrated before, put too much strain on my body and contributed to the dehydration.  

As Christians, we need to be spiritually prepared each day, when we are not, we too will fail. The Apostle Paul reminds us to, "Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever" (1 Cor. 9:24b-25).  

My second big mistake was taking off into the headwind.  Headwinds are a cyclist enemy.  I constantly look at the weather and my biggest concern is always the wind speed and direction.  Hills are not a problem when you are in shape, but a strong headwind will beat the best cyclist down.  I never should have left on the day I did.

Spiritually, Believers face many temptations or headwinds that beat us down if we are not prepared and in proper spiritual condition.  The enemy is always on the prowl (1 Peter 5:8).  We need to daily be prepared.  We need to watch out for any situation that may put us in harm's way from the enemy.  We need to wake up, putting on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-11).  God will pull us through, if we are prepared and in proper spiritual condition (1 Cor. 10:13).

2.  Have support/Support counts

Knowing about the difficult first day of riding (which turned out to be the last day of my adventure), I made sure to contact a friend in the area who could help me if I needed it.  He graciously offered to pick me up if I got into trouble. When I was in the hospital Thursday night he offered to get me and take me home.  Another friend on the other side of the mountains, some 4 hours away offered to get me and take me home.  Ultimately, it was my best friend, my wife Debbie, that got me home the next day. When I got home, a separate friend, an hour and a half away, offered to mow my lawn and wash my car while I recovered.  The support I got was amazing! We all need people to support and encourage us.

Christians can not live in isolation.  The early Church needed each other so much that they met daily together (Acts 2:46).  We need each other and we need to be encouraged.  The Church has always put a high priority on serving and having fellowship with one another (Heb. 10:24-25). Support counts and is needed in the Christian community.

3.  Stay focused

The last 20 miles of my ride were the most difficult of any ride I have been on.  My body was breaking down and I was was cramping up terribly.  I would get off my bike to walk around and then peddle while my toes were locking up.  I wondered if I would make it at times, but pushed on.  I kept focusing on the next mile and the next marker.  When I achieved the next goal, I focused on the next little goal.  I had a hard time focusing, but kept saying to myself, "You can go one more mile, You can climb one more hill, You are almost there". Without the focus, I would have called my friend or completely given up.

Likewise, the Christian life needs to be a focused life.  Many days we, along with all people, face difficulties.  These difficulties sometimes cause us to lose hope, but we need to focus on the One who gives us true hope in our life adventure.  As a Believer, I know that every difficulty I face, I don't face it alone.  As Jesus prepared his followers for his eventual death, he had this to say, "“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).  No matter the situation we find ourselves in, we can take comfort that the Lord is always there. As we struggle through life, like I struggled the last 20 miles, we need to stay focused on Jesus.  Keeping a proper focus will sustain us and keep us out of trouble (Heb. 12:1-2).  Death itself is not hopeless, in fact, for the Christian it is the point of eternal hope, joy and love (1 Thes. 4:13-14).  Stay focused, because Jesus has you!

4.  Be thankful

Absolutely, the most difficult part of the ride was the realization that my long planned out tour was a failure.  In all the years of cycling, I have never failed to finish what I started.  I was extremely disappointed to the point of depression. I felt like a failure.  People I talked to could hear it in my voice and offered words of encouragement.

The more I sulked, the more I realized that I need to be thankful instead.  I started thinking immediately that I would do this again someday.  I started to realize that I have a nice bike and equipment for bike touring.  I started thinking that I'm in good shape physically.  I started thinking of how many people would have no thought of a bike or bike tour, because having a bike is not a concern for someone not knowing if they will eat today.  I started thinking of people who can't ride a bicycle or even walk because of a disability.  I started thinking of people who would trade their life for mine in a heartbeat. I am so blessed, and I need to be thankful.

If you are a Christian, you should be thankful everyday. The Apostle Paul reminds us to, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thes. 5:18).  Notice, he says "all situations", that means even when things don't go your way (which probably never happens in your life).  So many times I'm the opposite, I want to complain.  Again, the Apostle Paul has this cutting statement in Philippians 2 - "Do everything without grumbling or arguing."  Wow, that doesn't seem like the world we live in today.

So, why should Christians always be thankful?  One word: Jesus!  We need to focus on Christ and the work he did for us on the cross and what he is continuing to do for us in our daily lives.  "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:8).  When we realize who we are, we can then live a joy filled life of thanks for what God has and is doing in our life.  And, it doesn't matter what situation we find ourselves in, because Jesus is always there (Heb. 13:5).  Be thankful!

You can learn a lot riding a bike.  You can learn a lot in a day.  The question always is: "Am I paying attention?"


Comments