Before Real Life Is Brokeness

The psalmist states in 119:136 (NLT), "Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey your instructions."  I know I'm not perfect and I disobey the Lord's instructions, but what grieves me so much is to see people in a pattern of disobedience, while claiming to know Jesus as their Savior.  I identify with the psalmist as he is saddened in seeing God's own people not fully engaged with the one they call Lord.  I guess what really troubles me is seeing people who claim God still chasing after things of this world that ultimately will not fulfill them.  Anything this world tries to offer as a solution leads only leads to emptiness.

David was called a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22).  In other words, David wanted what God wanted.  David's heart was inclined towards God's heart.  If we are to people like David (people after God's own heart), then we need to be willing to let go.  We need to be willing to let go of self and be consumed with God.  

For the David, as with us, the key to tuning in to God's heart wave is brokenness.  When David realized his sin he was able to connect to God's heart.  David makes this amazing statement in Psalm 51:10, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."  In brokenness God can join us, because we are willing to let go of self for God's holy filling.  This is how we find fulfillment or real life.  When we come to God in brokenness, God is able to lead us as David states in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Do you want a fulfilled life?  Do you want real life?  It all comes in a proper relationship with God.  Why would you want anything else?  Stop chasing after the world which leads to despair and emptiness.  Be willing to be broken in heart, so that God's filling refreshment will rain down on your soul.

Comments