In Gear

The other day while riding my bike, my legs didn't feel right.  I couldn't get into any kind of rhythm. I started to worry I would never get in shape again.  I kept going over in my head what I needed to do differently, like change my diet and exercise more.  I finally accepted the fact that I'm getting older and getting in shape just takes a while.

While I was thinking all these thoughts of discouragement, I looked down at my three front sprockets and noticed the chain was not on the middle sprocket.  The middle sprocket is the one I primarily use.  When I switched back to the middle sprocket it made all the difference in the world. Suddenly, I felt like I was in shape again. I was able to ride the final 8 miles home feeling like a new man.


I started thinking about the importance of being in the right gear with God.  It's like a radio station, there is only one right number.  If the station is not correct, you have only static and if you are not in the right gear, you labor in vain.

The great commandment states to, '" Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second command is this: ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ There are no commands more important than these"' (Mark 12:29-31).  To do this is to be in the right gear.  Moses after all the heartache of leading rebellious and complaining people, ultimately had this to say to God, "If I have truly pleased you, show me your plans so that I may know you and continue to please you" (Exodus 33:13).  What Moses wanted more than anything was to know God - that's being in gear.  

What gear you're in makes a difference in how you go forward.  If you are in the wrong gear (gear of the world), you will only be making life more difficult for yourself.  There is only one gear that leads to fulfillment (John 10:10) and that is found in a love relationship with Jesus.

Comments